Thursday 6 November 2014

Review: Virgin

Title: Virgin
Author: Radhika Sanghani
Published by: Berkley Trade on 4th August 2014
Genre: Contemporary
Format: eARC
Source: Publisher
Check it out on Goodreads

*I received a copy of this book free from the publisher via Netgalley for review consideration, this in no way affects my opinion of the book.*

Goodreads Synopsis: Okay, I admit it…I didn’t do it.

Yet.

This is normal, right?  I mean, just because everyone I know has talked like they’ve already done it doesn’t mean that they’re telling the truth…right?

It’s not like I’m asking for that much. I don’t need the perfect guy. I don’t need candlelight or roses. Honestly, I don’t even need a real bed.

The guys I know complain that girls are always looking for Mr. Right—do I have to wear a sign that says I’m only looking for Mr. Right Now?

Sooooo…anyone out there want sex? Anyone? Hello? Just for fun?

I am not going to die a virgin. One way or another I am going to make this happen.

Hey, what have I got to lose? Besides the obvious.


My Thoughts: Even though it is the 21st century, some people still seem to think that what you do or do not do with your genitals defines your self-worth. This book is proof of that. The narrator Ellie is in desperate need to lose her virginity, because if she doesn't she will die a spinster surrounded by cats. Although, there is nothing wrong with being a spinster or with being surrounded by cats. Just as there is nothing wrong with having zero sexual experience or having lots and lots of it.

Ellie and her friends act more like high school students than final year undergrads. Even though Ellie is 21, she knows less about sex than I did at 13. A lot of the thoughts she has about losing her virginity, such as just losing it with some random guy so she won't be inexperienced for mr right, are the same thoughts I had when I was a teen. So, for an educated young woman to be thinking in this way is just off.

She complains that no one has told her that she should shave her pubes (of course no one has to shave anything if they don't want to) or that you should use a condom for fellatio. Sorry for the TMI, but I have been pruning my lady garden since my teens and I have known that oral sex is not safe sex for just as long, so where exactly has Ellie been living to not know these things. She is a university student, she should be able to research anything like a pro, so why is she so damn clueless? It is quite infuriating.

All that being said, it not an authors job to moralise or to teach but to entertain and this book certainly is entertaining. It is funny, and candid in the way it talks about the female body and the real worries that young (and not so young) woman have about their bodies. I just can't wholeheartedly recommend it, there is too much emphasis on being a virgin equals bad, and there is a lot wrong information being presented, and there is STDs being taken lightly. Oh. and GAY MEN ARE NOT ACCESSORIES.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and I always do my best to comment back. I will also try and give your blog a visit X