Saturday 3 May 2014

Review: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Title: Bloodlines
Series: Bloodlines #1
Author: Richelle Mead
Published by: Razorbill Penguin on May 29th 2011
Genre: Paranormal
Format: Paperback
Source: Public Library
Buy it from Amazon or Book Depository
Check it out on Goodreads

Goodreads Synopsis: The first book in Richelle Mead's New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive--this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood. 

My Review: First off - why did nobody tell me I would need book two on hand for when I finished this one? because OMG I do. 

I knew I would like this book going in because a) it's in the VA world and b) Adrian. I was right, I liked it, a lot.  I don't like the alchemists but I do like Sydney, she may be uptight and a little bigoted but this book shows how she has grown since we first met her and that she has potential for much more growth. Oh and Adrian, I have loved him since he was first introduced in Frostbite and I love that we get to see a new, deeper side to him here. I think Sydney is going to be really good for him, if they get romantically involved or not.

I enjoyed the little mysteries that Sydney sets out to solve, they add more to the main plot of protecting Jill and life in a private high school. I did not see the bad guy reveal coming, I was very surprised

I like how Richelle deals with real life problems within the unreal world of vampires and magic - aside from daily issues of fitting in, making friends, finding love and finding out who you are, she deals with tougher issues of depression, self harm and body image. Sydney thinks that she is fat and frumpy, even though she is at size 4 called a twig and skinny a few times. This dysmorphia not only stems from being around naturally slim Moroi and athletic Dhamphirs but also from her fathers stinging remarks on her appearance. Hopefully, we will get to see Sydney come to accept that she is beautiful just the way she is.

I really liked this book and I can't wait to get to the rest of the series.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and I always do my best to comment back. I will also try and give your blog a visit X