Tuesday 29 April 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books you may like If you love Once Upon A Time

Weekly event hosted @ The Broke and the Bookish




I love ABCs Once Upon A Time, I really enjoy how it brings to life fairytale and childhood story characters and its little twists to them. The funny thing is that I don't think that I have actually read any of the books that the show's stories are based on. I have seen most of the movie versions of those stories and while most of the characters in the show are actually based of Disney versions of these stories, I really would like to read the originals and some other re-tellings. 

1) Snow White
Is originally a German tale and can be found in any Brothers Grimm collection or you can get it as a standalone like this awesome edition:

Some popular retellings:






Mirror, Mirror by Gregory Maguire
Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
A White So Red by K.D. Jones
The Fairest Beauty by Melanie Dickerson


2) Peter Pan
The original story is of course by J.M. Barrie


Some popular retellings:





Peter and the Starcatchers Series by Dave Barry & Ridley Pearson
Never After by Dan Eiconin
Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Nevermor series by Lani Lenore

Gratuitous photo of Captain Hook a.k.a Colin O'Donoghue




3) Beauty and the Beast
The original is a not so short, short story by Madame Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve and was abridged by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, and was reworked a few times before it became one of my favourite Disney films.


Some popular retellings:





Beastly by Alex Flinn
Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier
Beauty by Robin McKinley
The Cold King by Amber Jaeger


 4) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Even if you haven't read it, everyone knows that this one is by Lewis Carroll and what it's about


Some popular retellings:





The Looking Glass Wars series by Frank Beddor
Alice in Zombieland series by Gena Showalter
Splintered series by A.G. Howard
Queen of Heart series by Colleen Oakes

 And cue gratuitous photo of the Mad Hatter a.k.a Sebastian Stan


5) The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Another one, where even if you have not read it, you know what it's about and that it's written by L.Frank Baum


Some popular retellings





Wicked by Grogory Maguire
The Number of the Beast by Robert A. Heinlein 
A Barnstormer in Oz by Philip Jose Farmer
Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

Some other, general retellings:

6) The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer




Cinder - Cinderella
Scarlet - Red Riding Hood
Cress - Rapunzel

7) Fairytale Retellings by Jackson Pearce






Sisters Red - Red Riding Hood
Sweetly - Hansel and Gretel
Fathomless - The Little Mermaid
Cold Spell - The Snow Queen

8) Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
This is a retelling of Cinderella and I have heard that you should forget about the movie and just read the book.



Not retellings exactly, but have fairytale like settings:

9)  Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Neil Gaiman is a master storyteller, magic wielder and an exquisite writer of words, and my favourite author. I adore every word he writes and I think everyone is better off having read him. If you are like me, you have seen the movie (more times than you can count) and you loved it. If you loved the movie, you will love the book, they are not exactly the same and the book is probably a little bit darker than the movie, but still great.




10) The Princess Bride by William Goldman
I don't think this one needs any introduction at all.


Do you like Once Upon a Time (and love Hook)?
Have you read any of these books and what did you think?
Any retellings not on this list that you love?

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE fairy tale retellings!! Squeee! They're my favourite of ever, and I'm happy to see I've read a lot of your recs already. Tiger Lily is amazing. And The Lunar Chronicles? My new favourite series. :))
    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading fairy tale retellings is new for me, so I haven't read most of these but I am looking forward to getting to. And yes The Lunar Chronicles is fantastic :-)

      Delete
  2. I love Once Upon a Time and fairy tale retellings in general, so I will have to check out the books on your list I haven't read yet. Side note: gratuitous photos of Hook are always welcome.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have too many photos of Hook ;-)

      Delete
  3. HOLY WEIRD BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is crazy but our Top Ten's are similar...... Mine is based on Fairy Tale retellings, not really the Once upon a time TV show.
    Just goes to show that great minds really do think alike! :)
    Come by and check out my TTT @Book Hangovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Michelle that is totally crazy weird. I really think that we must be bookish twins ;-)

      Delete

I love receiving comments and I always do my best to comment back. I will also try and give your blog a visit X